What is the Q4 schedule?
- Quarter 4 will begin on Monday, May 4th and end on Friday. June 5th. You can turn in missing work until Friday. June 12th.
- No classes on Monday May 25th because of Memorial Day. Classes for May 25th will take place on Friday May 29th.
- You will have the following weekly schedule:
- Social Studies
- Social Studies
- No core classes. This is a prep day for teachers.
How will we access the classes? What is Google Classroom?
- We are using Google Classroom. To access Google Classroom: open your web browser to classroom.google.com and log in using your username and password. Remember that your username and password follow this format:
- Username: First.LastName@stu.freirecharterschool.org
- Password: fcs# followed by your ID number
- Bookmark the Google Classroom page. Keep your username and password easily accessible. You will use this website and username and password daily.
- When you log on for the first time, you will see invitations to join your classes. Join the classes.
- Watch this video to learn more about how to use Google Classroom.
What does each class look like?
- For each class, you will log into your Google Classroom and click on that class. There will be a lesson posted for that day, labeled with the date. As an example, on Monday May 4th, your lesson for ELA will be labeled “May 4th”. For each subject, you will:
- Watch a video from your teacher. MANDATORY. This is your teacher explaining the content to you. You should watch this as many times as you need to. Pause it. Take notes. There will be times your teacher tells you to pause the video and do a reading or some practice problems.
- Do some independent work. MANDATORY. This can be anything from a science lab to math practice problems.
- Do a final assignment as your effort grade. MANDATORY. You will turn this assignment in. You will end each lesson by completing a final assignment. This is your effort grade for the day for that subject. This is your exit ticket or show what you know.
- Attend your teacher’s live Zoom. OPTIONAL. While we want all students to attend the Zoom, it is optional. Your teacher will spend this time answering questions and reviewing the day’s lesson.
- You will repeat that process for every class. You should spend between 60-90 minutes on each subject.
Do I need to log in at a certain time each day for attendance?
No. Attendance will be taken through the submitted effort assignment. If you complete the effort assignment, you are considered present. If you do not complete the assignment by the end of the day, you are considered absent.
The only part of Distance Learning that is live is the teacher Zooms. Because every household has their own circumstances and schedules, these are optional but highly recommended.
What is the Zoom schedule?
- Links will be posted to your Google Classroom. Your Zoom will be with your teacher in each subject.
- ELA: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30-10:00 AM
- Enrichment: Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:30 AM-12:00 PM or 12:05-12:35 PM
- Social Studies: Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:30-2:00 PM
- Math: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30-10:00 AM
- Science: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:30-2:00 PM
- For those getting additional supports through the Student Services Department, there are additional Zooms to support you and your learning. Ms. Erin and the Student Services teachers will invite the appropriate students to those Zooms.
- Click here to view the schedule for after-school activities and clubs.
What are the expectations for participating in a Zoom session?
All participants are expected to uphold the following expectations during ZOOM sessions:
- Students must use the Zoom time for academic purposes only.
- Students must be respectful of all other Zoom participants.
- Students must be positive contributors to the virtual learning environment.
- Students must always use appropriate language.
- Students must mute themselves when not engaging in conversation with staff.
- Students must wear appropriate attire, i.e., no revealing or obscene clothing. You do not need to wear your uniform, but you must look professional.
- Students must be in a quiet space; background noise from your home may distract others.
- Students may not use personalized backgrounds; they may distract from learning.
- Students may not screen share unless given permission by Freire staff.
- Students may not edit the shared screen of any Zoom participant.
- Students may not engage in private chats during Zoom sessions.
- Students may never record Zoom sessions.
- Students may not share Zoom access information with others.
Please be advised that Zoom sessions are now our classrooms. All rules from your physical classrooms inside of our FCMS building still apply to the virtual at home classroom. Inappropriate language, defiance, disruption, and disrespect will result in removal from the Zoom learning space. If a student is removed from the Zoom learning space, they will be required to meet virtually with a member of the Dean’s Team or the Admin Team prior to reintegrating into the Zoom learning spaces. If the behavior continues, the student will be removed from the Zoom session entirely for the day, and a follow-up conversation with their parent or guardian will also take place to determine how the student can be best supported moving forward.
We are fully confident that our students will continue to BREATHE and DRIP FIRE in this new virtual setting. Please remember that we are a community that supports and lifts one another up. Maintaining safe and productive Zoom classrooms is paramount to student success. We know you will help us continue to make FCMS the best school in the city, just virtually.
If you need assistance at any time, we are here for you. Please reach out to a member of the Dean’s Team with any questions or concerns.
How will we be graded in Q4?
- You will need to submit an effort assignment at the end of each class. There are 10 total classes, so for each class you will submit 10 effort assignments.
- You will complete 2 mastery assignments for each class. These will range from tests to PowerPoints to essays.
- The 10 effort assignments and the 2 mastery assignments will make up your Q4 grade.
- Grades will be entered into PowerSchool. Continue to check PowerSchool for your Q4 grade.
I need extra help with a lesson. What do I do?
- Attend your teacher’s Zoom.
- Email your teacher or academic advisor.
- Attend one of the after-school centers, all available via Zoom, from 3:00-4:00 PM.
- Dragon Center: Mondays and Tuesdays
- Math Center and Writing Center: Wednesdays and Thursdays
I need help accessing Google Classroom or my Chromebook.
- Check out this guide to getting started with your new Chromebook.
- Call the IT help desk at 215-346-7421. It is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
- Email the IT help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resource Guides for Learning
The Resource Guide for Learning was distributed from March 23-May 1, prior to the start of Quarter 4, to help FCMS students continue to keep their minds fit and feel connected to their school community while we remain closed due to COVID-19. This is not school. Participation in these activities is optional.
Remember to share a quick reflection each day using the Reflection Form. Your teachers would love to hear from you!
- Week 1: Resource Guide for March 23-27, 2020
- Week 2: Resource Guide for March 30-April 3, 2020
- Week 3: Resource Guide for April 6-10, 2020
- Week 4: Resource Guide for April 13-17, 2020
- Week 5: Resource Guide for April 20-24, 2020
- Week 6: Resource Guide for April 27-May 1, 2020