Updated November 30, 2020
Resources for Families
With safety as our number one guiding principle, Freire Schools has decided that ALL students will start the 2020-2021 school year learning at home, also known as virtual learning. No students will physically be inside the building any days of the week. Please click below to read the complete Reopening Plan and Virtual Learning Schedule for your campus:
Health and Safety Plan
Please note: Freire Charter School is beginning the 2020-21 school year using an all-virtual model. The plan linked here discusses Freire Charter School’s reopening plan at such time as conditions permit us to open the building for in-person learning. Click here to read Freire Charter School’s Phased School Reopening Health and Safety Plan.
Latest Coronavirus Update
You can find an active count of the reported cases in PA, as well as up-to-date information on how the Department of Health is responding to this health crisis here: https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/
Please check your email regularly for important updates and information from Freire! If you are not currently signed up for weekly newsletter emails, please click here to sign up:
The health of our staff and students is paramount. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this rapidly evolving situation.
See below for more information about the virus and how you can prevent spreading illness:
What are the symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
How does it spread?
virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person:
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet)
- Via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possible be inhaled into the lungs
- Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects
How can you help protect yourself and others?
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects (e.g. doorknobs, tables, light switches, cell phones, keyboards, etc.)
- If you are sick, stay home until your fever is gone for 24 hours
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue when you cough or sneeze – and wash your hands after
- Avoid putting fingers in your mouth, ears, or eyes
If you plan on traveling in the next few weeks, please refer to the CDC’s page on travel guidance and advice.
*The Office of Emergency Management asks that the public stay informed of coronavirus news from the city by enrolling for free alerts by texting COVIDPHL to 888-777 and by visiting the Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s web page here.*
We remain hopeful that COVID-19 does not cause an emergency for the Freire Schools community. We will continue to monitor the recommendations from state and local authorities and will update you with any changes.
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Webpage
- New York Times – Coronavirus Live Updates
- PA Department of Health Coronavirus Info
- Coronavirus Situation Summary
- Freire Charter School Continuity of Education Plan
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out.
Head of School
Freire Middle School
Head of School
Freire High School