Updated May 1, 2020
Resources for Families
- Freire Middle School Quarter 4 Distance Learning Information
- Freire High School Quarter 4 Distance Learning Information
- Guide: Getting Started with Your New Chromebook
- High School Student Reflection Form
- Updated: Free Student Meal Locations and Safe Activity Spaces
Latest Coronavirus Update
We wanted to provide an update on the current Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak. On March 6, Governor Tom Wolf signed an emergency disaster declaration to provide increased support to state agencies involved in the response to the virus. As of today, the number of presumptive positive cases in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas is growing daily. You can find an active count of the reported cases in PA, as well as up-to-date information on how the Department of Health is responding to this health crisis here: https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/
As of March 30, Gov. Wolf has asked all public schools in Pennsylvania to close until further notice. Freire Charter School will be closed to students as well during this time.
In order to help Freire students continue to keep their minds fit and feel connected to their school community while we remain closed, Resource Guides for Learning will be made available every week. The Resource Guides will provide suggested activities for students, as well as additional resources and information on how to contact teachers. Click the relevant link below to access your school’s Resource Guides for Learning:
During the school closures, meal service and activities are available for students in safe spaces throughout the city. Please click here to view an up-to-date list of meal distribution locations and safe spaces for students.
Please check your email regularly for important updates and information from Freire! If you are not currently signed up for weekly newsletter emails, please click here to sign up:
The health of our staff and students is paramount. We understand that the decision to close schools may pose additional hardships for some of our families. Over the next two weeks, we will continue to work with the Philadelphia Department of Education and the PA Department of Health to prepare for the potential impact that an extended closure could have on our students, their families, and our staff. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this rapidly evolving situation.
See below for more information about the virus and how you can prevent spreading illness:
What are the symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
How does it spread?
virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person:
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet)
- Via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
- These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possible be inhaled into the lungs
- Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects
How can you help protect yourself and others?
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects (e.g. doorknobs, tables, light switches, cell phones, keyboards, etc.)
- If you are sick, stay home until your fever is gone for 24 hours
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue when you cough or sneeze – and wash your hands after
- Avoid putting fingers in your mouth, ears, or eyes
If you plan on traveling in the next few weeks, please refer to the CDC’s page on travel guidance and advice.
*The Office of Emergency Management asks that the public stay informed of coronavirus news from the city by enrolling for free alerts by texting COVIDPHL to 888-777 and by visiting the Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s web page here.*
We remain hopeful that COVID-19 does not cause an emergency for the Freire Schools community. We will continue to monitor the recommendations from state and local authorities and will update you with any changes.
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Webpage
- New York Times – Coronavirus Live Updates
- PA Department of Health Coronavirus Info
- Coronavirus Situation Summary
- Freire Charter School Continuity of Education Plan
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out.
Head of School
Freire Middle School
Head of School
Freire High School