1. Freire Charter School serves any and all 5th-12th grade students in the City of Philadelphia.
Where there are too many students and not enough spaces, Freire uses a random lottery system to determine enrollment. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, academic ability – or anything whatsoever.
2. The students who succeed at Freire are the ones who take action to help themselves.
Students who succeed at Freire see a bright future for themselves, and are willing to do whatever it takes (i.e. long nights of homework; studying on the weekends; going to the library on a sunny day) to get the best education out there.
3. We mean what we say at Freire.
Perhaps other schools tell you that if you break their code of conduct there will be consequences. But then when it comes right down to it, many of these schools do not enforce their rules. At Freire, we enforce everything we say. Honestly. We do what we say we are going to do. And we expect you to do the same.
4. We are a 100% nonviolent school.
Safety is our first priority. If a student acts violently – whether in words or in actions- to anyone at school or on the subway OR ANYWHERE – he or she will be expelled. There are no second chances. Our second priority is helping students learn to resolve conflicts peacefully and without violence.
5. Freire is for students who plan to go to college.
Do not send your child to Freire if college is not in the future plan. Your sons and daughters will not be happy at Freire if they want to do something other than college after high school.
6. Remaining a student at Freire takes hard work, courage, honesty, and constant determination every day.
Getting into Freire means getting a space through our lottery. That’s the easy part. The hard part is staying at Freire. We guarantee there will be challenges at Freire, and we will ask community members to do things they think are beyond their abilities. Those who succeed at Freire are the ones who never stop trying, and who are willing to work as hard as it takes to achieve excellence. No excuses.
7. Freire teachers and staff are some of the most talented, dedicated and caring in the country.
These professionals come to Freire to serve students and families to the best extent ever imagined in a school.
8. Parents and guardians must be involved and must participate in their child’s education with us as equal partners.
We will expect and demand this of all our families. Freire students need support, family involvement and encouragement every step of the way through high school.
9. Learning at Freire is painful and joyous, hard and exciting.
And learning happens everywhere – in classrooms, on school trips, at internships, on athletic fields, using the internet, planning the school dance, eating healthy food before school, and doing homework at night.
10. Freire is a place to take risks, dream big, and then work hard every day to meet those dreams head on.
We strive for excellence in our community every minute of every day. Freire is a school for those who want to do and be their best all the time.