Thank you for your interest in Freire Charter School. Freire staff members are forward-thinking team players passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who value diversity, are highly motivated and who will demand excellence from both the students as well as themselves.
Freire offers an excellent salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in Philadelphia.
For exciting opportunities at our new Wilmington campus, please click here.
We do not accept phone inquiries. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Paper applications will not be accepted.
If you are interested in bidding opportunities to provide services at Freire, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
Faculty/Staff Openings – HIGH SCHOOL:
There are no open positions at this time.
Faculty/Staff Openings – MIDDLE SCHOOL:
Freire is an innovative, successful and expanding Charter School in Center City, Philadelphia. We are seeking an Administrative Assistant to support our middle school campus. Responsibilities are varied and include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing data in spreadsheet format
- Data Entry
- Coordinating school wide mailings
- Coordinating standardized testing materials
- Occasionally serving as MS receptionist
- Fielding phone calls and ensuring messages get to the correct places/people
- Effective communicator with pleasant demeanor
- Handling scheduling of conference room events, parent meetings, etc.
This 12-month position requires excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills as well as superior attention to details and accuracy. Being highly organized is a must as there are large volumes of paper to deal with daily. The ideal candidate supports the mission of the school, is a self-starter, and is effective when working independently.
Preferred candidate qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong computer skills – must be comfortable working with Excel
- Flexibility in performing a variety of tasks as needed in support of the extended Freire community
A transitional training period will be offered. This position comes with a superb benefits package.
To apply, email the following documents to email@example.com with “MS Administrative Support” in the subject line: Cover letter, resume, and a narrative (1-2 paragraphs) describing a situation where you dealt with a difficult student or parent and how you handled it.
Paper applications will not be accepted. No phone calls, please.
Middle School Spanish Teacher
Freire Charter Middle School is seeking a full-time Spanish teacher for the 2015-16 school year. Freire staff members are forward-thinking team players passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who value diversity, are highly motivated, and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students.
Freire offers a competitive salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in Philadelphia.
Successful candidates will have the following attributes:
- Previous successful experience working with urban youth
- PA Certification for grades K-12, or in process
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to do “whatever it takes” to get a job done
- Evidence of creativity in lesson planning
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and names/contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Middle School Spanish Teacher” in the subject line of your email.
Paper applications will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. You can learn more about Freire at www.freirecharterschool.org.
Central Office/Administrative Openings:
Director of Development – Build the Future Education Collaborative
Build the Future Education Collaborative (BtF) is a not for profit charter support organization for the Freire Charter Schools of Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE. Inside the growth and expansion of the Freire Charter School program, Build the Future seeks to serve urban students in all ways possible to further their achievement, advancement, and joy in school, society and life. At Build the Future, we work creatively to ensure students experience success in school and beyond. Our staff works tirelessly and does “whatever it takes” to support our schools every step of the way.
Build the Future Education Collaborative seeks to hire a Director of Development to lead its fundraising responsibilities. This position will report directly to the Executive Director. With Build the Future set to expand over the next several years, this is an excellent position for potential growth.
Specifically, the Director of Development will be responsible for (for each Freire school and Build the Future):
- Overall administration and execution of fundraising programs targeted at raising operating support, plus additional funds for program and capital needs.
- Coordination of the Executive Director’s fundraising activities.
- The creation and execution of fundraising strategies, including efforts to increase funding from current and past donors and the expansion of fundraising efforts directed at new constituencies.
- Oversight of major prospect solicitation activities, including individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Oversight of gift records management and the donor recognition process.
- Regular interaction with key prospects.
- Oversight of prospect research and the rating process.
- Staff to the Development Committee of the Boards of each school and a partner with outside development consulting team.
- Defining appropriate fundraising assignments for Board members of each school and plan training sessions as needed.
- Oversight of proposal development and preparation, including proposal writing and budget development.
- Development of other print and online fundraising materials.
- Planning and implementation of cultivation events for prospects, donor recognition events, and an annual fundraising event at each school.
Qualifications for the Director of Development position include:
- 3-5 years in non-profit fundraising, including successful solicitation of gifts at the $10,000 + level.
- Ability to work with board members and high-profile donors.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of Philadelphia and Wilmington funding community, including individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Excellent writing skills, including proposals and development communications.
- Commitment to urban education is essential.
- Familiarity with fundraising software, gift recording and prospect tracking.
- Self-motivated, hands-on individual who can work well with a close-knit team that maximizes limited resources.
- Interest in education as well as growing as a professional.
- Commitment to collaboration and collegiality.
Compensation is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
Public Bidding Opportunities:
There are no public bidding opportunities open at this time.